Saturday, March 10, 2012

Holding pattern

Jasper and I have been in a kind of holding pattern since my last update. He let me know one day, in his quiet, subtle way, that I was trying to be too friendly too quickly and that it was making him uncomfortable. So now, I'm trying a different tactic. Instead of joining him under the bed and feeding him treats, I lay down on the floor near the bed and tell him how beautiful he is and how much I love him. Then I put down a few treats for him, and either go to work on my computer for a bit, or curl up and read on my bed for a while.

He has come out a few times while I was on the bed to watch me, but still scurries back under again when he sees that I see him. He has thus far, shown no interest in coming out when I'm at the computer. I'm not sure if this new method will be successful, as I suspect that he is the type of cat that does not ask for affection, but instead needs to have his person seek him out to give it to him. But since he does, at least occasionally, come out from under the bed while I'm in the room, I'm hoping that he will start to feel more secure about doing so if he doesn't feel as though his every move is being watched.

He still comes out to play with his mousie when I'm not around - I know because he sings relentlessly when he does. ;) And overall, I have to say I am beyond impressed with how polite and well mannered our little guy is, especially considering he is a semi-feral. Since he leaves a trail of fur where ever he goes, it's been pretty easy to see where he has been in the room. He has not jumped up on any of the furniture, except for my bed. He has amazing litterbox skills. He's a tidy eater (no crumbs on the floor). And most telling... no matter how nervous he has been, I have never heard him hiss or growl. For example, if he feels uncomfortable with having my hand too close, he simply moves slightly out of reach. Whereas most cats would, quite naturally, hiss or growl in warning. He seems to try his very best not to be a bother at all (which is what leads me to believe that he is the type that needs to be shown affection, and will not ask for it - although that behaviour can certainly be modified with time and love).

No comments:

Post a Comment