Monday, April 30, 2012

Updates galore!

Whew! What a busy day today was. Sorry for cramming everyone's updates into a single post, but I'm wiped.



Joni
Little Joni has had a case of Rhino (cat cold) since she arrived. Like most feral kittens, she arrived at C4P with a bad case of it and it flares up in times of stress. Normally I would simply let it pass on it's own and give her Lysine to prevent the virus from replicating (actually, I've got everybody in the house on it now to try and forestall a pandemic), but her's is a pretty bad case, and if I don't wipe her little nose every other hour, both of her little nostrils become completely plugged. Thankfully she's very good about holding still while I wipe her little nose and eyes clean with a warm, wet cloth. We're arranging to get one of our vets to take a look at her later this week and hopefully get her some antibiotics to help clear this up.
Rhino is included in the standard vaccine package, and we won't be able to get her vaccinated if she's already in the middle of a breakout. So we need to get it cleared before we can vaccinate - all of which is going to delay the amount of time she is here. And although she's super cute and I'm falling in love with her sweet little face, I do need to get her to her actual foster ASAP so that I can devote my time to the brood, and my timid foster boys.

Durango
What a difference in Durango today! He loves sleeping on my bed now, and as long as I'm just puttering around the computer, no longer runs and hides when I enter the room. He even came within a few inches of me while I was sitting on the floor petting Jasper. He desperately wanted to see what this petting thing was all about but was still just a bit too nervous to come within reach. I predict that he will be asking for them before the week is out. :D

Jasper
Jasper is doing amazing, and is finally ok with me petting him when he is laying down - before, that was a big no-no, and I'd get a swat from his meaty paw if I tried. He's still a bit hesitant with it, but he's learning to enjoy it more and more as time goes on.
He's been working very hard on his knots, and has managed to get rid of several large ones all by himself. This is fantastic, because at this point, the only knots he has left are in areas he still does not want me to touch (namely his belly and chest).
He's also learning to love the deshedding brush, and I've been able to pull out quite a lot of dead hair from his head and back.
The funniest thing he does is after each grooming session, he runs over to my full length mirror and checks himself out in it. No kidding, he totally does! It completely cracks me up every time I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment