Saturday, April 14, 2012

Everyday is a brave day

Now that Jasper has decided that he likes me and that I'm safe, he is showing much more consistent progress. Everyday is a brave day, and we often have several, small petting sessions throughout the night. He has even allowed me to start brushing him lightly, and he absolutely adores having his head brushed. He has also started coming over near me while I'm fixing his breakfast and dinner. In between these times, he likes to hang out in the box I put down for him near my computer (it's got windows so he can feel hidden, yet still see me at all times) or sleep on my bed. 

He's still quite skittish at times, mostly revolving around me moving in a direction that he's not anticipating, or moving too quickly. But I can now go from seated on the floor, to standing, to walking around a few feet, as well as getting in and out of my computer chair without him running away in fear. Or if he does dart off a few feet, I can usually convince him to come back out again very quickly.

He is a very quick learner, and is responding well to both my verbal and hand signals. He knows that if I wiggle my fingers or gently click my tongue, I would like him to come over for pettings (not that he comes over every time mind you, but he at least knows what I'm asking of him), and he's learning that I always indicate the direction I'm about to move towards before walking. (I know this last bit seems like an odd thing to train him in, but it helps to make him feel more secure while he gets used to the idea of me walking around. Once he's had some time to realize that me walking does not equal potential danger for him, I can start weaning him off this training method again.)

It's been so lovely to see his sweet, fuzzy face more often and I love watching his happy paws when he comes over asking to be pet. Which he does frequently.
Turns out, Jasper is one affectionate cat, and he looooooooooves getting affection / attention. I have the feeling that, once he gains more confidence, we're going to discover that there was a lap cat hiding underneath all those knots and mats and fear. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment