Saturday, April 28, 2012

Durango makes an appearance

Earlier this morning, while the brood and little Joni were having a snore-fest in the living room, I opened the door to Durango's temporary sanctuary to see if he had any interest in coming out to explore his new environment. He was quite keen on the idea as it turns out, and within minutes, I found him quietly exploring Jasper's haven.



I had hoped he would be interested in this room, as not only has Jasper proven himself to be an excellent companion for a wide variety of cat personalities, but this is one of the rooms that has a Feliway dispenser. So all in all, it's a much better haven space than his temporary one was.

Jasper always amazes me when interacting with the other cats. I have never met a cat who so closely follows cat etiquette as he does. Every new encounter I chance to see is a new learning experience for me, and through Jasper, I am being trained in the deeper, more subtle signs and signals of cat communication.
He is an amazingly social cat, and craves attention from both humans and other felines. His main problem is he is not as fluent in human body language, and he becomes confused and fearful when he does not understand what etiquette to follow.

Durango has been learning from him as well, watching how Jasper interacts with me and taking his cues as to what his expected behaviour should be. There is already a noticeable difference in Durango's behaviour - he now comes out of hiding to explore and eat when I'm in the room (he still gives me a wide berth however).

He's also polydactyl, and it amuses me greatly to hear the funny little extra click that nail makes on the floor as he's walking around. Certainly makes it easier to identify which cat has come out of hiding without having to turn around to get a visual. ;) Even now, as I type this, I can hear him clicking away behind me. ;)

I grabbed this video later in the day when the two of them came out together. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment