Friday, June 8, 2012

Trapping success!

Turns out the trapping tips I received were definitely the ticket. In the last 24 hours, I've managed to trap 10 of the neighbourhood cats. And as luck would have it, Hiro was number 10!


He came over to investigate the trap several times throughout the night. Inching his way in and out of it.... pacing around it, looking for an alternate way in. But somehow always managing to avoid setting it off. But in the end, his desire for that catnip won out and he finally went in far enough to trigger the trap.

I am so relieved that we finally caught him, and that he's finally going to get the help he so desperately needs. 

In addition to contacting C4P about him, my partners in crime had also contacted another fantastic rescue group called The Pussy Patrol who have agreed to take him on. The vet they will be taking him to is actually my personal vet clinic as well (although the vet I see there is not the same one Hiro will be seeing) which makes me very glad. Vet Plateau has an amazing (and well deserved!) reputation for their work with strays and are easily one of the best clinics on the isle of Montreal.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get to see him again after today. In an ideal world, he will be healed, rehabilitated, and adopted into a loving home. But so much depends on his health and temperament. Regardless of the outcome, I'm just glad he's finally getting the help he deserves. And I'm thankful to The Pussy Patrol and Vet Plateau and most importantly, my partners in crime for all of their hard work and assistance.

UPDATE: So as it turns out, the vet clinic is swamped, and the earliest we can get him looked at is Monday morning - 3 days from now. Since we can't keep him in the trap that long (it's way too cramped in there) our choices were to either release him and try catching him again later, or to try and find alternative accommodations. I cannot bring him inside due to health concerns as my priority is the health and safety of the brood and my fosters. And unfortunately, my partners in crime are unable to house him thanks to an unreasonable landlady who will be in and around their property in force this weekend. Given how difficult he was to trap, and given that there was yet another flash flood rain storm this afternoon (meaning the lane behind my home is once again flooded) releasing him was simply not an option in my eyes.

Thankfully, I happened to have a collapsible crate that I had previously purchased for use at the C4P adoption days, and it was still tucked away in a closet. It's not the best option, but it's the best we have on short notice. He will have to stay on my back porch, but the crate will be covered and protected from the elements. And given the dismal weather we've been having, it's likely a warmer and dryer shelter than he'd find on his own.

UPDATE the second: The transfer from the trap to the crate went smoothly and he is now safely settled in. He's obviously not happy to be there, but has remained surprisingly calm throughout his ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment